Tuesday 20 July 2010

Gordes, Provence - heaven!

Gordes – every year is “A Good Year”.

Provence is one of my favourite places in the entire world. I love it. Breathe it. Dream about it. Live it.
The dappled light, those little red roofed towns perched on hill tops, the gentle pace of life…one can very easily let time amble past, all washed down with a deliciously fresh glass of Rose.
Those who have been will all have their own special places and I certainly have several and on each visit discover a new. One of them, is the little town of Gordes, in the Luberon and it is a very special place for lots of reasons.
The village of Gordes.
It to me just typifies my imagination of a little French town, with its donging church bells, cobbled streets, dappled light and of course….art!
The other reason I simply adore it, is that it was used as a film location for one of my all time favourite films – A Good Year, starring Russell Crowe and the delightful Marion Cotillard. Directed by the fantastic Ridley Scott (who also has a home in the area), it tells the tale of a London banker who is ruthless and money hungry. After inheriting his uncles home in Provence, he heads there with the intention of selling it and never returning. After being there for 24 hours, Provence weaves its magic spell that intoxicates us all – and of course, you all know the rest of the story as he falls in love with the delicious waitress who works in….Gordes.
Old Monty is a lucky old chap and I am very blessed to visit Gordes and the equally lovely surrounding villages in the Luberon, on a regular basis :) Every time I go, I do stand and stare at the gorgeous little cafe, where Mr. Crowe tried to woo the gorgeous Ms. Cotillard. This is it…without the film crew!
A Good Year coffee...
The place is a bit of a tourist trap and as I sat carefully making my espresso last as long as I could manage (it costs euros 3.80!), I managed to close my eyes and remember the scene. Was it the same being there? No, but I do love it all the same.
So, when you’re next in Provence, do try and call in at Gordes. Its only about 30 minutes from Avignon and very easy to get to. Parking is provided at the entrance of the village for just 3 euros a day and its a beautiful view. One of my favourite French artists, who is very much underrated by comparison to his contemporaries, once lived in Gordes and has a street named after thank fully. Andre Lhote 1885-1962.
His little road makes you simply want to whip out the old easel and get painting straight away – the views from his house simply take ones breath away!
This is the opposite view and shows a typical view in Gordes…
The surrounding area of the Luberon is positively dripping with similar little hill topped villages – each equally unique and captivating to the mind, body and soul. I adore them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment