Tuesday 20 July 2010

Betty Boop - what a character!

Monty meets Betty Boop!

I’d always heard of this funny little character – but being a typical English chappy had not really got a clue about her.
So, when I received a phone call out of the blue asking “Do you buy pictures? I’ve got some old ones of Betty Boop” – I thought I had better do a quick bit of research. And I liked what I found.
America’s fascination with the brunette bombshell Betty Boop began in 1930. Inspired by the singer Helen Kane, the ‘Boop Oop a Doop Girl,’ animator Grim Natwick created her originally as a human-like dog. Over the next year, however, her canine features morphed into human ones and the world fell in love with Betty Boop.
But, with a possible deal in the offing, I thought I had better research the market for ‘BB’ merchandise. I’m glad I did.
Betty holds a special place in many collectors’ hearts to this day, whether they discovered her in the 1930s or the 1990s when she celebrated her 60th anniversary. As she remains a modern fascination, there are now two camps of Betty Boop collectors: vintage and modern. Vintage Betty Boop merchandise is of course tougher to find and more valuable. However, if you’re looking simply for Betty Boop collectibles and the era is immaterial, your choice is enormous.
Modern manufacturers have given Betty Boop fans everything from tin signs to umbrellas to rugs, watches, tote bags, and mouse pads. You’ll also find party plates, coffee mugs, sleepware, hats, chairs, wastebaskets, sandals, keyrings, bedding, ornaments, bobbleheads, aprons, and of course, figurines. The Betty Boop legend lives on in all its kitschy glory!
Do your homework and make sure that if an item is advertised as vintage, that it truly fits that description. On ebay – a massive source of Betty Boop stuff, vintage items, like a Betty Boop lunchbox, will be offered alongside more modern pieces, such as a Betty Boop handbag, for example. So really do have a good read of all descriptions. Collectors on a variety of sites can give you a sense of current market value for true vintage pieces.
So there you have it. Looking into young and delightful Miss Boop has been a pleasant distraction from abstract and cubist art that I normally glance at all day!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment